Onions are one of those things that make everything better. On a low heat, slowly caramelising onions in butter just soothes the spirit, so with onions being well and truly in season, these are a few of our favourite things to do with them!
- Onion tart- grab a pastry case, fill with caramelised onions, and top with goats cheese/mozzarella/pine nuts/any cupboard leftovers. Or pour over a few whisked eggs to make a quiche. This is the simplest, yummiest, warming dish pretty much ever created, plus it makes your home smell like melted butter … Mmmm.
- Onion marmalade- there are various recipes for this all over the Internet, but what’s great about it is it’s simplicity. It goes with cheese, meat, fruit or on toast, crackers or just a spoon! Try this Waitrose recipe for Red Onion Marmalade with Balsamic.
- Pickled onions- try saffron vinegar, or adding some star anise. Use pickling onions or shallots for a softer texture. Perfect to break out as a boxing day nibble with the leftover turkey.
- Roasted onions (and Garlic)- halve the onions and the whole garlic bulbs, put them facing up in tray and sprinkle with salt, pepper, herbs and a fair amount of olive oil. Leave in a medium oven until soft on the inside and nicely brown on the top. Leave to cool for use in sandwiches, serve with cheese or as a perfect vegetable accompaniment to meat in itself!
- Onion and cheese on toast- We’re not talking a few measly slices on top of some cheese, oh no! Try cooking a large onion in a little butter, some red wine and parsley until soft, top the toast with the mixture, grate a strong cheddar on top and pop under the grill for a quick and delicious lunch!